Happy MOFO day One! Ok yes, I’m a day late. But that doesn’t mean I’m any less excited. This is my 3rd year participating in MOFO. My plan for this year is to post my own recipes on most days with one day a week devoted to trying a recipe posted by another MOFO blogger and one day a week I’ll do a vegan cookbook review.
To all of you participating in MOFO I can’t wait to visit your blogs and try your wonderful vegan food ideas. Enjoy.
Vegan Brie and Raw Seed Crackers
It is still a couple of months until the holiday parties and seasonal meal planning starts. When I go to parties or have friends over I like to fix something that people often claim is the one thing they could not give up. Usually that means a nice cheese. However, I often struggle with making vegan cheeses. For most cheeses it takes a few days before they are ready and nothing is more frustrating than after days of carefully following instructions to end up on the day of the party with a block of something that only slightly resembles cheese. My sister-in-law still laughs at my first attempt at vegan almond nut cheese. However, I am not easily dissuaded and I continue to look for the perfect vegan cheese.
But this year I may have found my go to vegan Brie recipe. I ordered a copy of the cookbook “The Non-Dairy Formulary Vegan Cuisine for the Ethical Gourmet” by Skye Michael Conroy. I ordered it specifically to try the vegan Brie. I’m so glad I did! I can’t reprint the recipe here due to copyright laws (and it is just plain wrong to give away what someone else worked so hard to create) but I can tell you that the texture is creamy and just firm enough to make it great for either slicing or spreading on crackers. While it has been years since I’ve eaten any dairy brie, if my memory is correct then this is about as close to the authentic taste as anything I have had.
While my brie was firming up I decided I would make a batch of raw seed crackers. The version I made to go with my brie isn’t as spicy as I usually make them because I wanted to be sure the crackers didn’t overwhelm the flavor of the brie.
So now I think I’ll make myself some wonderful cheese and crackers, pour a glass of wine and go browse MOFO blogs. So to everyone, again happy MOFO!
Raw Seed Crackers
½ cup flax seed meal
¼ cup golden flax seeds
¼ cup hemp seeds
¼ cup sesame seeds
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
¾ cup water
1. Mix all ingredients except for the water.
2. Once well mixed slowly pour in the water while stirring. The mixture should quickly become gelatinous but should not be runny.
3. Spread the mixture evenly on a dehydrator tray keeping the mixture at about ¼ inch thick
4. Set dehydrator to 110 and let the crackers dehydrate for 8 hours
5. Gently flip the tray over onto another dehydrator tray. The bottom of the crackers should still be very soft.
6. Score the crackers to desired size
7. Place the crackers back in the dehydrator and set the dehydrator to 110.
8. Dehydrate for another 8-10 hours or until the crackers are dry on both sides.