I was never a big fan of green salads. I grew up with the basic iceberg lettuce, diced tomatoes, cucumbers, and maybe carrots topped with lots of thick fattening dressing. For special occasions we might add a few croutons. Basically, the salad was just something to graze on until the real meal was served.
Unfortunately when I was first thinking about going vegan in my mind I was picturing meal after meal of the bland salad I grew up with. That quickly changed when I started reading vegan food blogs! Thank you Vegan Dad, Fat Free Vegan, and Oh She Glows! Now my salads are seldom limited to basic ingredients and why buy salad dressing when I can whip some something very tasty and inexpensive with what I have in my refrigerator.
Strawberry Salad (1 serving):
• Handful of baby spinach
• ¼ cup shredded carrots
• Sprouted clover
• 5-6 fresh strawberries sliced
• 1 tablespoon tahini
• 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
• ½ tablespoon water
• ½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1. Mix tahini, balsamic vinegar, and sesame oil until well blended.
2. Add water slowly while mixing to get desired thickness (may require more or less water)
3. Layer spinach, carrots and strawberries and top with a small bunch of sprouted clover
4. Drizzle on the dressing